The other day during some playful wrestling with the kids Scott said "Who's your daddy?" You know, the famous phrase meaning "HA! You lose!" Well Micah jumped up, grinned so big I think her face could hurt, pointed at Scott and said "You are my daddy!"
Romans 8 tells us this: "Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ..." I was immediately taken to the thought of adoption.
My kids are adopted. My sister and nieces are adopted by my parents (God bless their souls...raising a 7, 4, and 3 year old at their age). I hope my dad-Bob- doesn't mind me disclosing such personal information, but I know one of his concerns with adopting kids is that it would take away from our inheritance. Like they have much, but whatever. He didn't want our cut to go to a kid that wasn't of either his or my mom's bloodline. Of course I assured him that I didn't care. When they go to be with the Lord, the last thing I will care about is how much money I will get or what furniture is mine. What I will be doing is grieving all the while knowing that they are praising our heavenly father who saved them from his wrath.
Sin unleashed in hell. That is what we are saved from. And what do we become? Heirs of God. We are his adopted children and he therefore allows us to be co-heirs with his Son, co-heirs with Christ. I know this means we go to Heaven and beyond that, I am not sure what our inheritance will be or look like. Maybe just being in his presence is inheritance enough? I know our earthly inheritance involves tons of grace, mercy, and peace with God beyond understanding. But after death it will be a big surprise. But the point is, his firstborn not only FREELY shares his inheritance with us, but calls us brother and sister while his Father calls us daughters and sons. We are no different in his eyes because all he sees is his righteousness through Christ.
Micah bodly calling Scott her daddy reminded me of the beauty of both earthly and heavenly adoption. Adoption into our family is just a blessing, but an example of what God has done for us. We are in no way genetically related to his son. Jesus was perfect; holy. We are far from either. Yet we are his heirs. Wow! Just...wow...
Micah, my daughter, my beautifully adopted daughter who looks nothing like me, is my heir, along with Jordan and JW, none of whom are blood related at all. But they are brother and sisters. My children. My heirs. Co-heirs of all my worldly goods.
No comments:
Post a Comment