Thursday, June 18, 2009

Attached

The thing about adopted babies is that they can be a little slow to attach. It makes sense when you think about it. As if being born isn't traumatic enough, then you are sent to a home with completely unfamiliar voices. Babies know their mom's voices; to an adopted baby, mom's voice is a mystery. JW nestled in nicely to our family early on...within days. But he was with us when he was 3 days old. He has known nothing else. But Micah, she was in someone else's home for nearly 2 weeks before coming home. For days she startled easily and just seemed generally uneasy. Her body language was stiff and scared. But today, as she cried to be comforted, I picked her up and she simply melted into my arms and chest. Her little body went limp as she drifted off into dreamland. That is when you know that your adopted baby has attached. That is when you know that she feels safe and secure, that she knows who we are and that she loves us as much as she can feel love. I am no longer a stranger to her; I am mom, the one who burps her, feeds her, and changes her. This is love.

Speaking of changing, let me take this opportunity to tell you that I change no less than 15 poop filled diapers a day. I am very tired of poop. I just thought you were all wondering about that aspect of my life. It is bad when you feel like the smell is permenently in your nose.

One more thing, for the Wednesday morning ladies, a big thank you :) I already ordered the stroller and can't wait to use it. The Lord showed himself through you all.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Hey. Will you send me a link for the stroller your ordered? I'm assuming it's compatible for 2 car seats.

Anonymous said...

Okay, the first paragraph brought tears to my eyes. And then?? You dive right into talking about poop! HAHAHA!

Kevin and Tara said...

we need some more pictures of these beautiful little ones! :) I know you can't be busy...