Saturday, June 13, 2009

Legacy

Amazingly enough, with two babies and an almost three year old I found the time to read this morning. I have never been much of a reader, but a dear friend and mentor gave me a book for mothers that has been staring me in the face for well over a month now. So this morning, as the babies are well fed and in the crib, as Jordan sleeps (I think), and as Scott is surely snoozing (or wishing I would keep the crying Micah quiet so he could sleep) I decided to pick up this book in an effort to do something a bit more constructive than sleep. As a mom of THREE I am now painfully aware of how weak I am on my own; the need my flesh has for something greater than myself is heightened in my senses with each midnight waking. Even now as I hear Micah refuse to sleep in her crib I am aware of how sinful I am. All of this led me to read a book in an attempt to connect quickly with the Lord and refuel, for the Lord only knows when I may have another second to do so.

"Every mother leaves a legacy to future generations...The latin root of the word legacy is to delegate, to commission, to entrust or command." Jean Flemming, from her book A Mother's Heart

As I ponder this simple little quote I am forced to wonder what kind of legacy I am leaving for my children. I think I know what kind of people I want them to grow up to be, but am I truly leaving a legacy to follow? Will they be sure of the commission before them? This brings me to the harsh realization that I must be living out something beyond my own capacity that will inspire them to follow Christ. As Paul put it in 1 Corinthians, "Follow me as I follow the example of Christ."

When choosing names for our kids, I didn't necessarily set out for any one theme. Though their names all ended up hebrew in origin, this wasn't the goal. It just so happens that I like hebrew names. What I wanted for each of their names was a verse that I could claim and pray for them as they hopefully walk with God throughout their lives.

For Jordan, her verse comes not from her first name, but from her middle name. From Romans 5:5, I pray that she would be an example of the HOPE that God has called us to. I want her to be a beacon of hope, showing the world one person at a time that there is a greater purpose, and that hoping in God never disappoints. Not only does hope in God feed the soul, it feeds the flesh as well. To her starving and wayward generation, may she be hope in a depressed world.

Micah, from Micah 6:8, walk humbly with your God. It is really all he wants. He wants a people who rely and take refuge in him. Do justly. Be a voice for those who have no voice. Love mercy. As Christ has done for you, give what isn't deserved and in doing so, snatch some from the fire.

JW, our little (er, big) surprise, God knew you were supposed to be a part of this family well before I did. We were only prepared mentally and physically for one baby. But God gave you a daddy who listened to the holy spirit, who felt sure that you were to be here with us to know the promises of the Lord to those he places in covenant families. From Jeremiah 1:5, before He formed you in the womb, He knew you as our JW. He has set you apart as one who will call people to himself. I pray that you will unashamedly go forth as a bearer of the cross.

Now the question is begged: I am living this out for my children to see? I hope so. Now I have to cut this post short because I have one awake 3 year old who wants out of her room and a screaming Micah. I do wish that girl would sleep in her crib...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You make me think. It's a good thing :) I'm reading "A Woman After God's Own Heart" right now, I think your book will be the next one.