Monday, January 18, 2010

A Letter From Mom

Matthew 25:40
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."


Dear Jordan, Micah, and big JW,
This post will not include any pictures or funny stories. My heart is somewhat heavy and I have some things I just have to get out. Today you are way too young to remember the tragedy that is the Haiti earthquake. Two of you are just itty-bitties, and well, Jordan, seeing as you think you met the Mickey Mouse this weekend I am guessing that something like an earthquake isn't quite on your radar yet. A week later and you are still talking about meeting Mickey at the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Oh to have the imagination of a 3.5 year old...

Haiti is a country griped by voodoo, a country that is being ravaged by HIV/AIDS. I really believe that God does use evil for good. Poor Joseph was sold off by his brothers but was later used by the Lord to feed a nation through the famine. (I hope by the time you read this you know where to find this story in the Bible. If you don't, go find it. I won't do the work for you by telling you where it is.) Anyway, what was intended for evil (the selling off of their brother) was actually used for good. You see, the God I serve isn't limited by earthquakes, homelessness, and HIV. Nope. Not my God. My God is the very God who created the universe. He tells the sea just how far to come, while directing lightening bolts through the clouds. Right now as I watch videos of orphans coming home all because of this earthquake, I am convinced that there is a greater purpose in store, an amazing story being played out. Because of this earthquake, more Christians that would have ever gone before are going to flood this poor nation with medicine, water, food, and most importantly, the gospel. Jesus cannot come back for his children until every single one of his chosen have been called and saved. There are people in the country of Haiti right now whom God has chosen. Because of this earthquake, someone will step up and go and preach, calling those chosen to God. Amazing, isn't it?

We must not discount "the least of these". Go to them!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh my this brought tears to my eyes! i love it is all i can manage to say!