Friday, February 19, 2010

Couponing works!

With a new, bigger, more expensive house on the horizon we had to trim our budget. One thing that got a significant cut was the grocery budget. I hope that couponing will cut it even more. I am just starting to get the hang of it so I wanted to share my spoils :)

At Rite Aid I got a package of 31 HUGGIES diapers for $4. We use cloth but I couldn't pass that up. There is still a need here and there for disposables.

At CVS I got 4 boxes of name brand cereal for under $6. I think it was about $5.80. I am proud of myself :) :)

Oh, and last week I got 84, yes EIGHTY-FOUR jars of baby food for under $30. Once again, I can't remember the exact amount; I do know it came out to about $0.20/jar, give or take a few cents. Guess how long 84 jars lasts us? About 3-4 weeks. May cannot come soon enough. Come May we can stop spending $200/month on formula AND we should be spending a ton less on baby food.

5 comments:

Keith and Kathryn said...

Couponing has saved us SO much money. I'm not a huge fan of all of the clipping and sorting, but I love the money saved! :)

Anonymous said...

That is great!! I really need to start doing that!

Sarah said...

shannon - i know between cloth diapering, twins (!) and jordan, a dog, laundry and other stuff you must not have ANY time left in the day, but you may want to consider making your own baby food if you want to save even more. it is SO easy, i promise, and just as convenient. all you need is an immersion blender ($30 max, includes a food processor), and then you can just buy fruits and veggies, bake/steam/boil them and then puree or cut up in chunks, depending on what they're ready for. it takes less than 1 hour per week to make and freeze ahead, and it tastes way better (to me) than the canned/jarred stuff. also, i think it's less of a transition to grown-up table food eventually because it tastes more similar to what you cook anyway. let me know if you want to try it and need more ideas... i save my jars and store baby food just for traveling now (or when i run out of premade food...)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Sarah, I made all my own baby food. I already owned a blender and a food processor so there wasn't any additional investment. Just pop the frozen cubes in the microwave and you are good to go. Much healthier too since you don't add any salt. My child has now transitioned to table food, and I think all the homemade food helped that transition.

Lauren and Matt said...

I need to get better at couponing. Glad to hear you've saved so much!