I know that is what will happen; my apology will be accepted. There is no way it won't be accepted, and it will probably be eaten up with great joy. I yelled at Jordan way too much today. It was a rough day, and for the most part she hung in there like a champ. But when I was no longer at ease with the day and had become quite stressed, I took it out on her. So tomorrow I will lead by example and say I am sorry for the cutest 4 year old on the block. I have to say that I am sorry for yelling too much because (in 4 year old terms)is not nice and not okay. No matter how big a pill it is for me to swallow, I hope and pray that she sees the humility and true pride swallowing involved in apologizing to your own 4 year old child and chooses to model it with her brother and sister, and with mom and dad too. Ahhhh, being a Christian parent is not for the weak of heart. But it is small moments like this when I hope we are beginning the process of passing off the batton to the next generation.
Now for a little funny: While at the mall today (ugh...do not attempt when three hungry and tired kids at Christmas time) Jordan got a little tired of me attending to the babies. She needed help. She started screaming, at the top of her lungs, "HELP! HEEEEEELLLLLLP!" Um, Jordan, we are slightly different in the melatonin levels of our skin. It is not cool for you to yell that. haha! I very sternly asked her to stop. I should have told her to yell "Help me Mom." At least that way poor strangers aren't left to wonder if they need to intervene in a kidnapping or not.
3 comments:
Shannon,
My Mom was a huge screamer, she lost her temper so easily. It was like walking on egg shells to see her mood first. All we ever wanted was an apology and for her to admit that she too was a sinner-not just us. I have the tendency to yell to, especially when i am tired. I always apologize when it happens and I always get an"I forgive you, Mommy. I know u didn't mean it and u love me". It brings tears to my eyes every time. Of course, we could try very hard not to yell, but I think admitting we are sinners and apologizing is enough. It shows them that we are sinners too, not just them. Like i said earlier, an apology was all we ever wanted as kids, but never and still have never gotten it. Glad to know I am not the only one who struggles! Happy mommying! Gretchen Newton
LOL! Love the mall story!
I struggle with yelling at my kids as well. I grew up in a yelling home (apparently that was the norm in more households than we realize) and I am trying desperately to break the cycle. I love what Gretchen wrote, to not only apologize but admit and point out that Mommy, too, is a sinner and needs forgiveness.
Glad you've returned to the blogging world! I've missed you!
~audrey
Shannon, I also did alot of screaming today but not at my own children but at my students. I had to ask one of my students to forgive me and this is very humbling. I've also had to ask my boys many times to forgive me. I agree with you that our children need to see that their parents are not perfect and need a Savior just like them. Pointing the whole family to Jesus. Keep it up! Discipling children is definitely not for the faint at heart. But when I am weak He is strong and my weakness is made perfect in Him!! Praise Him!
Post a Comment