About a week ago, while in Walmart on a Sunday after church, some random lady (whom I have never ever seen before) walks up to Jordan, starts running her hands through her hair while asking me "Is it all her hair?" and "Do you have oil? It needs oil." Okay, people. Just because I adopted transracially does NOT give you the go ahead on running your I-don't-know-you-from-Adam-stranger-hands through my daughter's hair. While I recognize that the lady was probably well-meaning and didn't mean to be rude, it is just plain rude. I don't go up to any one else's kid and tell you they need new shoes, I expect the same respect. Why? Because I am a parent. Because I love my children. If I ask for advise then you can start touching my kids heads and telling me of the newest oils on the market. But if I am Christmas shopping at the last minute because Scott up and decided he wanted a PS3 and my daughter is doing laps around the cart, please don't talk to me about oil. Thankyouverymuch.
Last Sunday (yes, one week later), said daughter and I were making yet another Walmart run. We are on our way in, and who would you know is walking out? The same darn lady, only this time, Jordan has beautiful twists done by this very white and pastey mom :) The lady looked at me, looked at her, then looked at me again. I politely said "This is what her hair normally looks like. See, I do know how to fix it." She looked shocked, couldn't believe I actually fixed her hair. (Maybe she was shocked at the fact that I stopped her and very sternly drew attention to Jordan's hair. What can I say? I was a little ticked off the first time we "met.") She then went on to tell me what a great job I did and how wonderful it is that there are people like me out in the world. I'll take that compliment, thankyouverymuch. And yes, it is good that there are people like me. In fact, there are a lot of people like me. But in the end we are just moms who followed God's call on our lives. This call led us to blessings in the form of children...and I don't want strangers running their hands through her hair.
No comments:
Post a Comment