Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Not So Shameless Plea

My First Pres church readers may have noticed that I have been in jeans every Sunday. There is a reason for that. Though I do love the comfiness of jeans, I don't like wearing them to church on Sunday morning. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but I feel self-conscience and out of place. It has brought out all of my insecurities regarding the way I look. In some ways this is good because it has forced me, every single Sunday, to remember why I attend church. It isn't to show off the latest fashions or my new cool shoes. It is to worship the creator and the author/perfector of our faith. What I am wearing on any given Sunday has had zero bearing on how well that worship service goes or how much I learn from the awesome sermons I hear. To be honest, I am more comfortable in jeans than anything else. I am not one for skirts and slips and pantyhose and layers upon layers of jewelry. While it looks GORGEOUS and I wish I liked to wear it, I just don't. I love to wear a good skirt and sweater, but I'll skip the earrings and matching necklace. It just isn't where I choose to spend my money. I'd rather eat out or buy a pack of pacifiers to keep Micah quiet. (It seems the new dog has a love of pacis. My wallet, not so much.) Anyhow, I write all this because I need some clothes! I don't even own a pair of black heels. It isn't because I don't want them. I do. I just can't get them right now. I had a pair that I bought about 6 years ago and they finally bit the dust not long ago. I have lost some weight since the babies came along, so most of my dress pants don't fit anymore. Either that or they are seriously outdated...as is 90% of the rest of the stuff hanging in my closet. So before you give any of your stuff to Goodwill or whatever, can you just let me know? I know this is weird to put on a blog, but I didn't know what else to do. I am not one to ask for handouts, but I figure if you are sending it off to Goodwill or another thrift shop anyway, it isn't really a handout. Right? I don't really need stuff. There are so many other people in the world who need clothes and food and running water. I feel so petty saying "I hate wearing jeans to church." It is almost embarrassing enough to delete this whole post. Like, am I really that vain? ugh. I am stopping right now. Maybe this will be deleted later. Who knows.

2 comments:

gretchen said...

Shannon, I think a lot of mom's are in the same boat, so don't be embarrassed! I have JUST recently gone through my dress clothes and finally had to give up most of them because they are out of date (from COLLEGE! hello, that was like 12 years ago)or too big because I have lost weight since having my babies too. I have 2 summer dresses that are sleeveless that fir, but are not really my style. I usually wear jeans to church too because I do not have anything else. Or I just leave my work scrubs on! even worse. I would rather my babies look nice and feel nice like you do also. Incidentally, what size shoe do you wear and what size skirt/dress, just in case I come across something. Also, I have thought about you when it is time to give my boys' clothes away, but my kids are SOOO tiny, I know your chunker is probably way past my littlest, who is 2. I do have other things besides pants though. What size will JW wear this summer do you think? shoe size too

Melissa said...

I may beable to help you. I have clothes that are to small for me and I dont see myself fitting in them any time soon. A lot are dress clothes also. You can email me at melissastiles@rocketmail.com