Chope. It is a new Obamaism I heard today...it is the combination of hope and change...the two things Obama is supposed to represent. Before I begin this post I have to say that I understand the significance of his election. Unlike many of my fellow Americans that didn't vote for Obama, I celebrate in the historical significance of him being elected. I actually do think it is cool that we finally have a president of color. Though I can't fully feel the exuberance that the African American community felt on November 4, I understand why they are exuberant. I can see why it means so much to an entire people group. What I don't understand, however, is how Obama has become to so many who voted for him (white, black, hispanic, and asian alike) the source of hope and change. Many in the media are saying that he has become somewhat of a celebrity. That word didn't do justice to what people are making him to be. Celebrities are famous for petty and trivial stuff and have no real power, though they often think they do. Obama is famous for doing big things and actually holds some power. In my opinion, the word celebrity doesn't sum up his mass following and praise. To me, it seems as if people are treating him like the Messiah, hence the hope is in him to change the world. I have never seen an entire world (yes, it isn't just the United States) literally rejoice in the election of one man. I am not quite sure what people think he is going to do to change world. I realize that Bush has changed the face of the world in very literal ways. But in my opinion, the middle east was a ticking time bomb. It was all going to blow up at some point, it was just a matter of whose watch it was on. As the Lord had it, He wanted Bush in office at that time. So what can Obama really change? What did Bush really change? Bush changed nothing; God changed the world by using President Bush. By Obama placing a few more bucks in most American's pockets he is changing nothing. Noone's heart is changed; no lives are altered for the better. Marriages won't be saved nor will fathers support the children they have left behind. My point is this, whatever good or bad may occur over the next 4 years is not without the okay of the one who really does hold hope and change in his hands. My prayer throughout the day tomorrow will be that when Obama lets people down they will turn to God. He will let people down in time, not because he is a bad person but because he is human. As a Bush supporter I was let down at times. He made decisions that I didn't think were right and those decisions did force me to think upon truth. I pray that those who do not know the Lord and are putting all their hope in Obama to change their lives, I pray that they will come to know the Lord through his presidency.
On a different yet related note, I want to address those Obama antagonists who fear that the USA is going to implode under his watch. God is in control. He was in control on November 4, 2008 and is in control today. Prior to election day our pastor often prayed that God would give us not the President that we want but what we by his grace deserve. At least I think that is how the prayer went. Saying it that way seems to imply that Obama would be punishment for something and that is not what was prayed. Basically it was something along the lines of "Give us what you see fit." I believe that my soveriegn-ruler-of-the-universe God did that. He allowed Obama to win; if McCain had won it would have been because God allowed it. Not a single sparrow falls to the ground without his all knowing permission. God is good ALL THE TIME. We will be okay...by the grace of God we will be okay. I cringe at the thought of pro-choice legislation that will be fought for and passed over the next 4 years. As an adoptee I can say that Obama's stance on this subject makes me physically ill. But I still trust God. I weep for the babies who will never take a breath. But I believe God when He, the father to the fatherless, says that vengence is his. So I go into tomorrow with complete peace. After all, it isn't like McCain was a great choice anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment