This is post #2 for today. I think there will be 3. Jordan is at my mom's for the day, so hubby and I decided to brave the heat with the babies and just go run some errands. We blew money on lunch which was very nice. We rarely eat anywhere without a playground these days :) Then we went to Target. Oh, did I tell you? I got my purse back! It had everything in it except my social security card, one credit card, and my COUPONS! My coupons were all gone! I think it probably all just got seperated from my purse. The sheriff's department went through my purse, cataloging all of my belongings. My guess is that it just got lost either in the ditch it was found in or at the police station. Who would steal coupons? Anyhow, the shopping list I had made for Target, along with the coupons, were all still there. So we went to Target (where I saved $16.75, thankyouverymuch).
Anyhow, we were chatting about my last blog post and it's spiritual significance. Scott mentioned that Jordan crying out for me wasn't necessarily because she knows she needs me. She doesn't know her own neediness. It was a comfort thing. Afterall, she doesn't even know what she needs at this point. She doesn't know she needs food, shelter, water, and love. Those are things she wants (or so she thinks). She wants chocolate milk when she wants it, or dinner right when she wakes up from a nap. Right now, she is comforted by knowing I am in the house and available to give her what she wants. It isn't a need thing. Then I got to thinking about the differences between a need and a want. We have it all wrong in this country. This goes for both Christians and non-Christians alike. For us, shelter, food, love, are all wants. Because 99% of us will never go without, we don't know what it is like to need those things. The result of that is a huge lack of contentment and very wrong view of God. When our needs become wants, we are never satisfied. When my need for food transforms into a want for Outback steaks, I am not thankful for the spaghetti provided by God. In turn, discontentment brews because my view is that God is withholding something from me. If Jordan wants chocolate milk but I give her white instead, she will be mad. Why? She knows I have the capability of turning that milk brown and she is upset that I have chosen to keep it from her. She doesn't care that I don't want to load her up on sugar before bed. She only cares about what she WANTS and not what she NEEDS. As I go through life and move from one home to the next bigger home, or from used cars to nicer used cars, I pray that God would always remind me of my needs and keep me from indulging in wants.
Not to totally change this to an unspiritual post, but how different would our society be if wants were needs? Instead of expecting handouts, we would be content to work. People want so much and don't realize in what ways they are truly provided for. We all just want, want, want without stopping to think "Hey, what I need truly is given to me." If that was our mindset we would all be just a little more thankful for what we have.
I gotta cut this one short. JW is sucking on a sippie cup he found. I have no idea where he found it or how old it is, but what I do know is some sort of liquid is in it. (Lord, protect him from whatever yuck is living in it.) Too late...all gone. Guess I will give the poor kid some fresh milk.
No comments:
Post a Comment