Monday, October 13, 2008

So it really is true..

that adopted kids begin to "look" like their parents. So many people told me this. If I had a nickle for every time someone said "She may not look like you, but she will take on your mannerisms and become just like you", well, I would have a lot of nickles! So today Jordan and I were playing a typical everyday game. She very dramatically will cross her arms which means she wants me to copy by crossing mine as well. After about 20 rinse and repeats of crossing my arms she giggled...I giggled...then I realized that she got it from me. I always stand crossing my arms. Always. It is my default stance. I remember the day she discovered crossing her arms. For whatever reason I was a tad frustrated. I had just got home from work and was tired as usual. I think I was trying to entice Jordan to eat and I was unsuccessful. I crossed my arms; and so did she. Ever since then we have had our game. This little ah-ha moment of mine has me hoping that she picks up a few things of greater significance from me. Things like praying, sharing Jesus with friends, or just being nice to others would be wonderful. But then that means that I too have to be those things. She won't pick it up by osmosis! I guarantee that she will pick up the majority of things I don't want her to pick up. I don't want her to get my temper, or my impatience, or my lack of tact in speech. But she will if I am not careful. For that fact, she might if I am careful. So let this post be a challenge to myself: spend time with the Lord intimately and regularly! There is no better thing I can do for my family than to read the Bible and pray.

I Corinthians 11:1 "Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ."

No comments: