Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Suffering. For what?

So right now I am in a Bible study where we are going through Romans. I can honestly say I have never studied Romans. I have looked at it when cross references called for it; I have also read through the book here and there. But I have never studied it. This study has confirmed to me that I need Bible studies. I need to be taught by someone with a little more insight than myself. I am just not insightful! I always tell people that I can't learn how to use any mechanical device, computer program, or simple remote control by reading a book. Manuals are not written in my language. I need someone to show me how to use or work whatever I am trying to use or work :) Got that? Why would I expect it to be any different with the Bible? I have the Holy Spirit who helps for sure. But the way God has made me, well, it makes me need Bible studies.

Today we studied Romans 5:1-11. The study mainly focused on suffering. The conclusion we came to is that justifications brings suffering! haha! that just doesn't seem right. Sure, justification brings lots of other wonderful things. But suffering? Why? Well, we concluded that suffering is part of life. We live in a fallen world so we will suffer. Period. But suffering with the Lord is different. Sometimes our sufferings is simply the consequence of sin. Sometimes suffering is brought on by Satan (Job is an example of this). But more than anything, suffering is a test. It isn't that God needs to test us so he can know where we stand. After all, it doesn't matter where we stand. Our relationship with God is sure not because we stand, but because HE stands on our behalf. It is secure because while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. God knows where He stands in regards to us; therefore where we stand doesn't really matter. But, we are tested so we can know where we stand. We are tested so we can see our sin and repent, so we can see how unattractive the world is and cling to him, and so our hope and confidence in our relationship with and to God can be strengthened. In my mind I think that these things could happen apart from suffering. But who am I to tell the Lord how to run things?

I have to admit that my first reaction to the idea of suffering being good makes me bristle. I get angry that God would allow it. The theological answers don't sit right with me. Suffering is for our good and his glory, yada yada yada. I just have to believe that when I am 70 years old I will understand that suffering is for my good and his glory. Understanding God takes time I suppose.

No comments: